What is Virtual Desktop and how does it work?
Facilitating remote work for a company’s employees has become critical to the smooth running of the company’s operations.
Virtual desktop solutions enable enhanced mobility and remote access, as well as ensure the security and flexibility of working across multiple devices and networks. They provide significant advantages over physical desktops, and today we show you the keys to improving hybrid work in your company with Virtual Desktop.
What is a Virtual Desktop
A virtual desktop is a desktop virtualization service and includes cloud applications. It is achieved through a software emulation of a device and runs on a virtual device in a remote location.
This virtual desktop is very much focused on teleworking and allows users to access their documents and computers remotely over a network.
Windows Virtual Desktop
Windows Virtual Desktop belongs to this group of virtual desktops and offers a cloud application service that provides a complete virtualized and native Windows 10 experience.
It is the virtual desktop infrastructure that offers the best simplified and scalable management, with optimizations for Office 365, support for remote desktop services, application virtualization, security, etc.
Azure Virtual Desktop
We have already talked about Windows Virtual Desktop being hosted in the cloud, so Microsoft has decided to change its name to Azure Virtual Desktop. This new version offers compatibility with Windows 11, in addition to a renewed and scalable experience for multiple sessions.
Azure Virtual Desktop allows us to save costs by using previously held Windows licenses that meet the following requirements.
Azure Virtual Desktop Features
This platform offers virtual desktops and remote applications that facilitate flexibility, with the following main features:
- Windows 11 desktops and applications for anywhere.
- Built-in intelligent security that detects threats and takes corrective action.
- Deployment and scaling in just minutes.
- Cost reduction by using existing licenses and paying only for what you use.
- Manage Windows 10, Windows Server, and Windows 7 desktops and applications with a unified management experience.
- Migrate existing Remote Desktop Services (RDS) and Windows Server applications and desktops to any computer.
- Virtualizing an enterprise’s Microsoft 365 applications and optimizing them to run in multi-user virtual scenarios.
Benefits Azure Virtual Desktop
The advantages of using Azure Virtual Desktop are very numerous and we have already mentioned some of them above, but the most important ones are:
- Improved flexibility: by migrating our infrastructure to the cloud, we simplify operations for users and technical staff, helping them to access their desktops and applications from anywhere and on any device.
- Cost savings: elimination of the need to invest in ICT infrastructure and licenses.
- Smoother Microsoft Teams and Microsoft Office experience: you get the same local desktop or laptop experience when using any application (Outlook, OneDirve, or Teams).
- Citrix and VMware infrastructure modernization: this allows you to maximize investments and expertise by integrating into existing desktop and application virtualization environments through hybrid deployments.
Virtual Desktop Solutions
Beyond Azure Virtual Desktop, other virtual desktop options include.
Virtual Desktop Oculus
This option gives the possibility to connect wirelessly to one or several computers to watch movies, surf the Internet, play games on a giant virtual screen, or stream PCVR games.
Your Virtual Desktop is a highly optimized native application, developed for low latency and high-quality transmission.
Virtual Desktop Quest
Similar to Oculus, this virtual desktop gives us the option to access the computer through the Quest VR headset viewer. Options range from games to movies stored on the device, a variety of different virtual environments, or browsing the Internet.
Virtual Desktop Streamer
From the same creators of Quest, we find Virtual Desktop Streamer, an application that allows you to stream content from your PC to your headset via Wi-Fi. Once connected, it opens a window that reveals all the applications installed on the computer.
From there, they can be started there, and the device will take care of opening the necessary applications.
We help you get the best telework platform for your company, improve user experience, security, and reduce complexity and costs. Let’s talk!